Chef Phil’s Potato Floddies
1 Banana Shallot (approx. 75g)
25g Self Raising Flour
3 Free Range Eggs
4 Rashers, Smoked Streaky Bacon
Salt & Pepper
Knob of Butter
– Pre heat the oven to 180c (150c fan).
– Cut the tomatoes in half, place on a baking tray cut side up and drizzle with a little oil.
– Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and put them in the oven to roast.
– Peel and grate the potatoes. Once grated take handfuls of the potato and squeeze out as much of the juices as possible before transferring to a mixing bowl.
– Peel and finely shred the shallot and add to the potato along with the flour, 1 egg and pinch of salt and pepper. Thoroughly combine the mixture.
– Warm a large heavy bottomed frying pan on a medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil. Divide the potato mix in to four and spoon into the pan trying to keep the potato cakes fairly round.
– Gently press the potato mix down to create an even 1.5-2 cm thick pancake.
– Fry the floddies until golden on both sides. Then transfer them to the roasting tray along with the tomatoes in the oven.
– Using the same frying pan add a touch more oil and fry the bacon on both sides until crisp and add to the tray in the oven.
– Add the butter to the pan and fry the remaining 2 eggs to your liking, assemble all the components onto two plates and enjoy with a dollop of brown sauce.